20th Nov 2019, 1:07 AM
Call out to them

 <<First     Latest>>   

Call out to them
But alas, the cell's rather grotesque occupant does not react. You're pretty confident they're really dead, though that doesn't rule out any possible traps, infectious diseases, or other ways a face-to-face encounter could go wrong.

You decide to leave the corpse and the knife alone for now--you might return here later when you're a little more sure of what's going on and what you might be dealing with. The temptation to just kick in the door and hurl your torch at it is strong, though.


Very strong.


You resist the urge and continue on down the hall. It's more of the same, unimpressive and poorly furnished prison cells and poor upkeep. You soon reach the door at the end of the hallway; it has a barred window like the cell doors, allowing you to see there's nothing dangerous lurking on the other side.

You step into the next room, which is a shorter, curved passage. You can see a shield, two barrels, and a couple of papers pinned to the nearby wall. On the other side of this vaguely L shaped room is another door; through its bars, you can see a long hallway lined on either side by cell doors. It looks a great deal like the hall you just came through, but in a different direction.

Not identical, but very similar.



 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

20th Nov 2019, 1:57 AM
Morgenstern
Sorry the comic was late, apparently Dreamhost has been holding Comicfury hostage most of the day

it's still Tuesday somewhere probably
20th Nov 2019, 2:15 AM
20th Nov 2019, 1:20 PM
Thanks for that 'too much courage' line, I needed the laugh.
20th Nov 2019, 2:01 AM
Akasha
It happens. Anyways, what I'm thinkin' is... check out the shield, take it with us if it seems usable enough, then maybe see if there's anything in them there barrels.
20th Nov 2019, 2:02 AM
I second grabing the shield
20th Nov 2019, 11:41 AM
20th Nov 2019, 4:07 PM
20th Nov 2019, 7:15 PM
+1
after we loot the room i believe we should head though the next door and then take a left towards the downward stairs
20th Nov 2019, 2:02 AM
Grab the shield, and continue onwards!

Also if you didn't notice the papers word is clickable.
20th Nov 2019, 2:06 AM
Acquire shield, then poke around in barrels to see what's in there.

What do folks think about the shield possibly justifying trying to go back and get that knife? It would make us a *bit* safer-- safer from attack, but not from disease, for example.

The papers appear to be related to directions. Up is 1, and down is 3, meaning that we're on 2-- presumably basement 2? That other paper looks like a map, with the red highlighted area being the room we're currently in, possibly? And the long bits would be corridors with cells, and the up and down arrows might be access to other floors.

Also, if there is some sort of watery thing above us, that'd explain the sludge coming down on us.
20th Nov 2019, 2:07 AM
Portal In Time
Hmm, I want to try something a little meta...

SAVE GAME
20th Nov 2019, 2:19 AM
undeadDreamer
Take and wear the shield. You may not know how to use it but it's better than nothing. You should also check the papers.
20th Nov 2019, 2:48 AM
Equip shield, noble warrior!
Check barrels for non-ruined loot.
Take papers, be careful not to rip them.
Empty a barrel and attempt to equip it as stealth/body armor, Wind Waker style.
20th Nov 2019, 5:27 AM
20th Nov 2019, 6:38 AM
YetiOlwen
+1 to most of that except maybe give the barrel a little kick before you just dive in. Be sure that there's no horrors or grouchy Oscars hiding in there.

Barrel armor is most likely out of the question however. A standard oak barrel weighs about 110lb (50kg) which is more then our 98lb heroine.
20th Nov 2019, 3:43 AM
A buckler huh? Nice enough. Kick it to make sure no dangerous insects are hiding under it.
20th Nov 2019, 6:39 AM
YetiOlwen
+1
Kick all the things
20th Nov 2019, 1:31 PM
(Please avoid kicking yourself in this process.)
20th Nov 2019, 6:50 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
those pages look like a map and ... I'm not sure what it's called but they're the signs that point you towards things on other floors. blanking hard on that. downwards seems to hold Tradesmen for some reason and given the flooding better to check below before going above.
20th Nov 2019, 6:55 AM
Take the map with you so you're less likely to get lost. If you're where you think you are, go back the way you came and see if there is a connecting passageway to the bottom right quadrant indicated on the map.
20th Nov 2019, 7:12 AM
Kumondo
O.K. So, long post but my overthinker is acting up. Plus, I'm lowkey falling in love with Plaire and want to do my very best to keep her safe and well, and so I lend my intellect and observations readily to the cause.

Observations From This Page, and the Inspectable Papers
1. The dungeon we are in was intentionally designed. Like, the layout is not a squiggly set of forks like a re-purposed mine, but a symmetrical design, that is easy to navigate if you know the way, and exceptionally difficult to escape if you don't. The hallways to other areas have the same doors as generic cells, and every hallway is identical at a glance. The space is also designed to house as many inmates as efficiently possible. And on top of all that, they are well aware of the water situation above, and therefore likely have precautions against flooding. HOWEVER, due to the state of repair, the original builders may or may not be around anymore, and we consequently know nothing about the current owners of the structure.
2. Judging by the map, and assuming that it's roughly to scale, and then comparing that to the images and text of the previous pages, I theorize that there are about 7-10 doors to a wall on each side of each square. Minus the ten doors/doorways leading to the other quadrants and the stairways, and assuming each wall contains nothing more than cells, that leaves room for anywhere between 212 and 310 cells; far to many to investigate each right now.
3. Going up a floor leads to the surface, and presumably the only normal exit. It also looks like this structure may be on an island or under a lake. So, whatever guards there are, at minimum, will have to guard that point to keep prisoners in check. Assuming this place is still actively functioning as a dungeon. Conversely, downward leads to how knows what; the symbol is much more vague and could represent anything from a certain faction from Morgenstern's previous comic, to a sewer access, to the lair of the One-eyed Wasp Queen.
4. We really need to take care not to get lost in this place. What I wouldn't give for a big piece of sidewalk chalk to put marks on doors and such. I'm toying around with ideas for keeping track of where things are, at least for ourselves, by giving each cell an address of sorts.

Actual Actions to Take
1. I am definitely a fan of kicking, picking up, inspecting and equipping the shield. I'm hoping for a herald or emblem on the front, because I would love some iconography to chew on.
2. I'm also a fan of inspecting the barrels and taking the map sheets for future reference. Also double checking the other sides of the pages to see if they really are blank.
3. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I wanna know if the green flame of our torch gives of heat and otherwise behaves like fire. Maybe see if we can find a scrap of wood or cloth to burn in one of the cells once we continue.
4. After the inspections here, we'll have to choose where we wanna go long term, up or down, and how quickly we wanna head there, and weather we're looking for or avoiding any people along the corridors. Ultimately, my vote is to head downward, but I'm not too picky as long as we're still exploring and learning. Just doubling back and seeing if the door to where the SW quadrant is where is should be is also a fine place to start.
20th Nov 2019, 1:29 PM
Caution: the map may be upside-down. We should try and reach a staircase ASAP to orient it properly.
If we're in a (leaking) underwater facility, going up feels safer. So it could be a trap.
20th Nov 2019, 3:55 PM
Loose Cog
If the fire burns wood, use it to make some charcoal that we can use to mark where we've been.
20th Nov 2019, 9:57 AM
Leafia_Barrett
Oh man a shield. That makes me feel a little more comfortable with our current predicament. First things first, do a cursory search for traps around the shield, then definitely take it. Take the map with us; give the other sheet of paper a read, and if that has anything worth remembering, take that as well. Carefully check out the barrels; if anything seems even slightly sketchy, don't open them.
20th Nov 2019, 11:25 AM
This is looking more like an RPG dungeon now. =)
20th Nov 2019, 11:26 AM
undeadDreamer
Go downstairs and visit the symbol that is potentially the tradesmen.
20th Nov 2019, 7:53 PM
20th Nov 2019, 11:58 AM
Judging by the map (assuming the orange room is "you are here,") up and out is back the way we came. I'm personally not willing to chance that the triangle symbol stands for the tradesmen, and this whole place is slowly flooding, so I'd probably not go down any farther, if indeed that is what the circles and arrows represent. Also, flip the shield over (just to check there's nothing hiding underneath) and take it with us.
20th Nov 2019, 1:51 PM
Lunar Waffles
+1 to all of this o-o (other then the barrel armor, probably not a good idea) (also it would be fun if the map updated the you are here marker just to mess with Plaire)
20th Nov 2019, 4:16 PM
Take the papers with you, +1 to pretty much everything else
20th Nov 2019, 5:13 PM
Try talking to our torchflame, otherwise keep an eye out for shadow guy.
20th Nov 2019, 5:13 PM
Try talking to our torchflame, otherwise keep an eye out for shadow guy.