9th May 2020, 12:53 AM
Yeet a torch into its mouth

 <<First     Latest>>   

Yeet a torch into its mouth
You give it a moment of thought...

and then a nod.

"Okay. I got it."

You take the notebook out of your pocket--the one you got from Bebe. You rip one page out of it, squeeze it into a ball and hold it out to Kate. "Light this on fire."

"Yes ma'am," Kate says with a smirk. It's a little odd with her puppet face, but it's definitely a smirk. She hovers over and holds out one hand, lighting a small flame at her palm. Once the page is definitely on fire, you step forward; the chain monster opens its maw, its enormous jaws snapping at you.

You chuck the ball of flaming paper right into its mouth.

The jaws slam shut with a thunderous sound

...and the creature doesn't instantly die or anything, but it does briefly thrash about.


It definitely doesn't like fire.


You take a deep breath.

"The bony... dangler guys are afraid of fire. If it's just one, you should be able to scare it off. If we can keep it away from this thing, then neither of them should be an issue. You're also small enough to go back down the hall and head it off without disturbing the chains--I don't know if that's part of this, and I don't really want to."

"What are you gonna do?," Kate asks.

You stare the monster down. Once its recovered from the burning paper, it begins trying to bite you and Kate again. "What I usually do," you finally reply.

Kate maneuvers between the chains on her way back toward the entrance, flying a bit more steadily than she was earlier. You backtrack a bit, as well--forced to be a little more cautious in darting between the chains, but you only need to go back as far as the last torch you saw.

You grab it from the wall and return to the chain monster.

You step just close enough to get it snapping again, and--

"OP strats, don't fail me now!"

you chuck the torch into its gaping maw.


The jaws slam shut.


You see the chains that form its hide tighten.

It growls, smoke seeping out the seams of its horrible mouth as it begins to thrash and flail wildly. You instinctively step back, gripping your sword's handle with both hands as the creature swings and rumbles and--

the ceiling above it begins to audibly crack.

"Oh, shit-- no!"

With a massive crash, part of the ceiling collapses. The tail end of the monster breaks loose, and its immense mass slams into the floor in front of you. It lands with enough force to shake the hall, the reverberations in the floor briefly stunning you.

"Plaire...! Hey!" You hear Kate yell from behind you. Her voice sounds like it's approaching, but you don't dare turn around--not until you've seen how fast this son of a bitch can move now that it's on the ground. "I scared off two and I'm pretty sure I killed one but there's like four more--the fuck?!" Kate screeches to a halt not far behind you, having likely seen what's transpired at your end of the hall.

The chain thing begins to crawl toward you.

Like a worm.

Like a fat

...metal worm. Okay it's not fast at all. You start to go left, and you can hear the screech as layers of metal chain drag across stone floor. It turns quicker than it crawls but it's a low bar to clear. You should have a pretty good shot at--

"I. Have. A right. To know."

"I have a right to know."

"I h-have a right to know."

God dammit.

They're coming up fast and at a glance you only count three.

You might be fast enough to just... book it.

Maybe.

...Maybe not.

Maybe if you--

"Fuck it," Kate blurts out. Before you can interject, she flies straight at the chain snake... and abruptly zips out of its range as it begins to bite at her. And again, she narrowly banks out of its reach. And again. Steadily... turning it... to the right...

"Go!," Kate shouts, and you make a run for it--rushing past what would now constitute the back side of the monster.

It turns a lot faster than you thought it did

but not fast enough.

You feel the rush of hot air on your ankles as the jaws slam shut at your heels. This would not have worked if that thing hadn't been turned entirely around by Kate. Kate, upon seeing you slip past, immediately stops kiting the monster and resumes flying straight after you. You rush down the hall with little regard for the chains now, simply trying to put as much distance between you and everything in this god awful hallway as possible.

One of the right-to-knows begins emerging from a wall ahead of you.

The missing fourth, you presume.

You don't even stop running, you just swing. The weight of the sword almost takes you off your feet, and subsequently the blade almost gets caught up in a length of chain.

You do manage to cut what you could see of the bastard in half, though.

"Hoooly shit! Yes!," exclaims Kate.

You quickly resteady your balance and continue running,

You barrel straight through the southmost door--


and stop just short as a great plume of green... smoke rises up from a huge square vent in the floor.

Kate, having not quite mastered the brakes yet, goes hurdling straight through it... only finally skidding to a stop on the other side of the vapor. You carefully scoot around the outskirts of the vent, into the cleaner side of the room. You make sure the door is shut behind you.

Kate gasps from the other side of the green fog, having apparently held her breath the whole way through it.

"Are you poisoned?" It's the first thing that pops into your head.

"Don't think so," Kate replies. "I was holding my breath."

"Yeah. ...Wait." You squint at her. "Do you actually breathe like that, or--"

You trail off, but Kate doesn't immediately answer, either.

Just... kind of stares back at you.

And then loudly breathes in and out. "Okay yeah. I still breathe."

Cool. Poisonous gas is probably inhale only, then--it's not contact poison. You don't know that the gas constantly chugging out of the floor vent is poison, but it's bright green vapor and you don't need to be a toxicologist to--

"I h-have a right to know," says a voice uncomfortably close to the door you just ran through.

You and Kate both hurry to the next door on the east end of the curve.

You stop short of opening it, though.

You hold a hand up, signalling for Kate to hang back, as well.


Through the barred window of the door, you can see the hallway ahead.

It looks clean. Just a standard hallway, lined with doors. Just like you expected.

No monsters.

No giant holes.

No toxic vents.

You just experienced what you would consider your first trap.

Visible. Obvious. Easy to avoid.

The stairs upward will be in that hall. This is, in theory, the last room of this floor.

If this place is really trying to tutorial you, like it did with the chest...









you might also just be getting paranoid.

You can hear the scratching as the thin tube fellas begin pulling themselves into the curved corner room with you.




 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

9th May 2020, 1:09 AM
Anotherdamntimeclone
I would say with the monsters coming behind us this may not be the best time to stall and debate the traps, it may be best to at least step into the hall and assess it from the inside.
9th May 2020, 7:31 AM
9th May 2020, 7:31 AM
9th May 2020, 1:52 PM
9th May 2020, 1:10 AM
If it feels safe enough, might want to catch our breath real quick.
And then head for the stairs!
9th May 2020, 1:25 AM
I'm not confident we can stay safe in here for long. I reckon send Kate ahead, since she's got better odds of evading any obvious traps, and then go for the stairs.
9th May 2020, 8:32 AM
'Ahead' in this instance being in the point position, not the scout position.
9th May 2020, 1:30 AM
Two bone-bastards against a lone Plaire led to Plaire being killed. Four against two sounds similarly unfavorable. This is probably not a good time to stand and fight, even with The Whole-Ass Sword.

Move into the next room, glance into the cells on the way past, and quickly examine the way to the surface. Hustle, but don't hurry-- too much haste means potentially overlooking a threat.

...And be ready to just run past or through anything in the way, because we do NOT want to be caught flanked between that and the I-Have-A-Right-To-Fuck-Right-Offs behind us.
9th May 2020, 1:36 AM
undeadDreamer
Sprint and hope to take whatever is in there by surprise.
9th May 2020, 2:24 AM
It's pretty hard to take traps by surprise.
9th May 2020, 2:29 AM
Oh this hallway is TOTALLY trapped. Maybe we should sleep with a ten-foot pole tomorrow night... The expandable pole is one of the most useful pieces of adventuring kit from my D&D 3.5e days, and one of those would fit in a bed!

We can try to use the sword in a somewhat similar manner to a 10-foot pole-- tap the floor ahead of us with it as we move through the hallway, perhaps? Keep an eye out for irregularities in the floor and walls as we move. Sending Kate ahead of us might be a good plan, as she's not going to trigger any pressure plates, after all-- and she's nimble enough that she might be able to dodge any traps she DOES trigger.

Alternatively, we could try to trigger possible traps from a distance before moving in-- perhaps by spiking torches at suspicious-looking areas? Not sure how easily accessible more torches are, though.
9th May 2020, 7:35 AM
Snervalton
+1 to using the sword like a pole to find traps.
9th May 2020, 7:41 AM
Fishbulb
If there's enough time, maybe we could look for any readily available loose stones or poles or anything that could be used to set off a trap.
9th May 2020, 3:45 AM
The last time it was two vs one with a knife ez win. Come on, bring it to them, I believe we can! If we can not, consider a fighting game next time, something with melee weapons https://youtu.be/sUiyBczaPwA
9th May 2020, 4:27 AM
Little choice but to press forward - but do it carefully, and warn Kate to keep her eyes open as well.
Also, maybe if we get to the other floor we reach a checkpoint - having cleared the 'tutorial' as it were - and wake up there next time.
9th May 2020, 8:01 AM
pkrankow
Map has an interesting gap like the wall is missing in 2 rooms on this level. The 3rd from right on the bottom and the 5th left after the corner.

Are these secret areas? Poor resolution? Mapmaker error? Glitch?

The gaps are visible on the map on p83 too.
9th May 2020, 9:54 AM
Probably the entropy effect from the brochure incident.
9th May 2020, 10:31 AM
Most of those gaps are connector hallways between the sections... But you're absolutely right that there's one in the next area that leads south, off the map.

It's worth taking a look at it to see if it's a hall to an unmapped area or just a single room.
9th May 2020, 9:32 AM
Macheman7
Honestly, seeing as we're probably running low on dream time, I say just book it and see what's upstairs.
9th May 2020, 11:20 AM
Limrix
There are surely traps, but we need to make every action matter. The room is also filling with poison, so there's another reason not to dawdle. We can have Kate fly in to scout and try to open the door while we drop a torch on the poison grate to try to turn it into a fire grate before joining up with her. Probably worth chucking a torch or pens into the room as well. Beyond that, it's going to be up to our quick thinking with whatever faces us.

We can keep Kate with us to use as a makeshift volleyball to give us some game maneuvers for added mobility in a pinch. We should try to move in unexpected ways to minimize the impact of the traps. If worst comes to worst, Kate should try to make it to the surface on her own. The dream probably ends when we dies, so we should try to buy her as much time as possible.
9th May 2020, 1:50 PM
I am startled that nobody's mentioned this but video game logic dictates that this could be a boss room. We can't be too cautious. But Plaire and Kate should expect a fight.
11th May 2020, 12:12 AM
No one thinks of a boss room because, by video game rules, boss rooms are, in most cases, behind huge or marked doors, not the generic ones.
9th May 2020, 8:21 PM
The poison gas *might* slow down our pursuers but we can't count on it. The gas might also be flammable which likely *would* slow them down a bit. Kate can quickly fly back and *carefully* try igniting it.

Let's enter the next room, carefully keeping an eye out for traps and also checking the cells like we have been doing, but mainly making a beeline for the exit. If we have any spare time to test it, we could also try spiking Kate like a volleyball just to finally see if it would work or not.
9th May 2020, 10:22 PM
Snervalton
+1 to having Kate ignite the gas from the vent to ward off the right-to-know monsters.
10th May 2020, 3:25 AM
Taenidia
+1

Use one of the paper-wad fireballs to ignite it, if possible.

Also, Boss Rooms frequently involve locking doors. Maybe make sure we enter the room along with Kate, before separating.
10th May 2020, 11:50 AM
Snervalton
+1 to everything Taenidia suggested.

Edit: Better to keep Kate at a safe distance from the gas if/when it ignites than have her actually stick her hands in it!
10th May 2020, 11:25 AM
Get the feeling a boss fight is coming up soon, either as we enter the next room, go up the stairs, or waiting at the top.
10th May 2020, 1:05 PM
the room 3rd from the right on the bottom... is the back wall broken through or is that just a missing line... i have a strong feeling something is back there
10th May 2020, 1:06 PM
semi unrelated. as it seems to be mimicing a game, have we tried iether PAUSING, or have we tried to bring up a menu. sklill menu or any other
10th May 2020, 4:29 PM
Snervalton
This is an interesting idea but Morgenstern might be done with that kind of meta stuff after scrapping the priestess.