1st May 2020, 12:24 AM
Take the sword and head south

 <<First     Latest>>   

Take the sword and head south
You approach the chest

and after staring into it for what feels like a month, you reach in

and grab the handle.


You pull out an entire sword.

. . .

It's not broken. It's not even damaged, or worn out.

The chest doesn't spring to life and attack you.

... It's just a sword. A free sword.

You hesitantly nod to Kate. "...I think it's okay."

"Cool," Kate replies with a relieved smile.


You're still ... mildly suspicious of this corner room, but you're not sure why.

Maybe it's because a free, fully functioning sword in a non-trapped chest just feels wrong. Is the dungeon trying to kill you, or isn't it? If you're right--and this is all deliberately constructed, and following at least a few basic guidelines of game design--then what the fuck. That just raises more questions.

Like, a shit ton more questions.

NONETHELESS

You pull the next door open and you press southward, into the next hall. You realize quickly that your sword's pretty heavy--not impossible for you to carry with one hand, but if you plan to actually swing it worth a damn you'll probably need to two-hand it.

Kate follows as you step into a hallway full of chains.





And things ... wrapped in chains.

You're still not even remotely sure what the chained cocoons are. It's good to learn that the one you saw farther north wasn't one of a kind, but you're in no hurry to do any more cocoon science.


You move cautiously.

Quietly.

You avoid touching any of the normal, dangling chains whenever possible. Though you don't mention your concerns about the chains to Kate, she seems to pick up on your hesitance and moves more carefully herself. It's ... slightly easier for her to navigate the room, due to her size and not carrying a big ass sword.

When you can't avoid touching the chains, you do so gently.

Slowly.

You hold your breath the whole time, terrified of making a sound.

You barely even glance in the cells, and mostly just to make sure nothing's about to rush out and ambush you. The idea of opening some doors and rooting around for items here does not really appeal to you much.





In the silence, it's pretty easy to hear.


"I have a right to know."


You grit your teeth, resisting the urge to scream an expletive.

Kate stops, whirling around to face you with wide eyes.

It's fine.


It's

fine.

The voice was muffled, distant--still pretty deep in the walls somewhere.

It'll take a bit before it reaches you.

You haven't seen anything enter the hall.

It's still just you, and Kate

and yet the chains on down the hall have begun to sway.

Jingle a little.




You're about halfway to the exits.

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

1st May 2020, 12:28 AM
Morgenstern
So, news: I'm still adjusting to my new place, I'm still struggling with anxiety and migraines and everything else but it's getting better, and there's still ... you know, everything going on outside.

Updates will be on a whenever they happen basis for a little bit.

Also if you caught up a month ago you might want to reread the last few pages. Y'know, just to make sure you're fresh. Definitely not because anything changed.
1st May 2020, 12:40 AM
Macheman7
Glad you're back, Morgenstern. I'm glad you took a break. I hope you've been taking care of yourself. Stay safe.
1st May 2020, 12:48 AM
He lives!

Glad to have you back!

Or as much back as you can handle, at least.

help i don't know how to words
1st May 2020, 5:17 AM
Just remember "whenever they happen" should NOT be an excuse to over-tax yourself. I'd recommend sticking to your previous restriction of 1 update per day Monday-Friday as a maximum update schedule.
1st May 2020, 6:22 AM
1st May 2020, 10:37 AM
So... You changing events is a part of the story now or what? That's confusing.
1st May 2020, 1:35 PM
Just see it as the priestess gently extracting herself from the plot.
5th May 2020, 7:36 AM
No, it's not part of the story. Unfortunately because we are getting this story live, so to speak, we're also getting to see the editing live.
1st May 2020, 1:36 PM
Welcome back and take it easy~
1st May 2020, 11:03 PM
We missed you! Hope your migraines clear up. We love you, and want you to be happy.
5th May 2020, 7:33 AM
Okay, so from your writing it seems like your anxiety is either like mine or you are very familiar with somebody with anxiety like mine. It helps me when people say things flat out and clearly in such a manner that they can not be confused or twisted around by the head monsters.
Morgenstien, you write amazing dialogue. I watched the bus scenes and I was enthralled. I am very much looking forward to seeing your characters talk their way out of so very much trouble. I'm looking forward to talking to the mayor again, and seeing what the letter sisters have to say next, and going back to the back room.
This is not the case with many forms of entertainment where I'm hoping everyone will shut up and something will happen. I have faith that your characters will face these deamons and come out on top. Good luck.
1st May 2020, 12:33 AM
Welp. Onwards cautiously!
1st May 2020, 12:38 AM
Macheman7
Move forward. Not too quickly. I'm sensing chain spider, not going to lie. Just don't touch the cocoons no matter what, but the dangling chains are dangerous too.
Be safe.
1st May 2020, 11:06 AM
That's what I'm thinking as well.
1st May 2020, 12:41 AM
Huh. Retcon or something else?

Anyways, go slowly forward. No need to take unnecessary risks.
1st May 2020, 12:57 AM
okay how much of a bad idea is it to say Haul Ass out of that room as quickly and as quietly as possible without disturbing those chains?
1st May 2020, 1:30 AM
Hauling ass quietly... smuggling ass, perhaps?
1st May 2020, 1:38 AM
I agree with plan "Smuggle Ass", sounds good.
1st May 2020, 9:08 AM
AgentKuga
let's smuggle ass then
1st May 2020, 9:19 AM
1st May 2020, 4:29 PM
Something about that phrase makes me think of illegal drugs.
1st May 2020, 3:05 PM
Heroshima
+1. maybe we can try crawling under some of the chains.
1st May 2020, 10:56 PM
3rd May 2020, 4:03 PM
+1 to the smuggling of ass
1st May 2020, 1:29 AM
Speed up, but slowly.
1st May 2020, 1:40 PM
Proceed with caution, post-haste.
1st May 2020, 1:30 AM
Are the chains jiggling ahead of us, or behind us? And is the "right to know" coming from ahead or behind?

I would say to try to get to the exit as quickly and quietly as possible, but that might change depending on the answers to those questions.

Also, it should be safer than we think to hold the Whole-Ass Sword fairly close to our body-- swords are generally not razor-sharp (which would make them fragile), but instead cut largely through the action of the blade sliding against the material being cut. Which means that if we're moving slowly, we don't need to be too afraid to hold the sword close to us in the interest of keeping a better center of balance while getting through these chains.
1st May 2020, 9:24 AM
Limrix
+1, I don't know what a chain spider would look like, but most things react poorly to fire and sharp objects. It seems the chains have not started moving on their own yet, but things have noticed us, so I'm not sure how much good stealth is going to do us anymore.
4th May 2020, 7:09 PM
-1 to holding the sword close to the body, without verifying that Real Sword Physics applies to Dream Swords. Fragility might not be a concern about super-sharp Dream Swords, kind of like her lack of fingers isn't a concern for Dream Kate (among other physiological questions her dream form raises).
1st May 2020, 10:33 AM
either that's some strong wind, or something is jingling chains. We should try to figure out where the something is, and avoid it if possible.
1st May 2020, 2:50 PM
The comments on the previous pages are going to confuse so many new readers until they learn about the retcon. : P

Keep walking forward, cautiously, be prepared to react and/or run towards the next room if needed.

Maybe just ignore that weird feeling from the previous room, at least for now. We need to focus on any immediate danger and I don't think we'd achieve anything other than a mild headache right now anyway.
2nd May 2020, 2:57 AM
Hari_Seldon
Think about how to keep that sword through next reset. When Plaire is not busy she should write Do Not Reset on a page of the notebook and put it in her pocket, hoping it will prevent her from fading away.
2nd May 2020, 4:30 PM
+1 to experimenting with notebook words. Maybe we can scribble out a quick "stealthy" and stick it in out pocket.
3rd May 2020, 12:59 AM
3rd May 2020, 4:58 PM
I know, kicking stuff is my speciality, but I definitely wouldn't try it on these chains.