18th Mar 2020, 5:27 PM
Head for the exit

 <<First     Latest>>   

Head for the exit
"Our retreat put us closer to the exit than to the triangle."

Kate lifts her gaze from her hands to you. "Thinkin' we should go for the exit?"

You reply with a small nod. "Yeah. I think the triangle's something but with how little we know, any information at all is useful. Seeing what it's like outside might help contextualize... uh... what the hell this place even is."

Kate smiles. "It's cool, this part's lame anyway. Giving me flight and then trapping me in a sewer is some, like, ironic punishment type shit."

You laugh, a little bit. "It IS basically a sewer. You know what else I hate? Fucking sewer levels."

Kate laughs, shaking her head. "Damn, dude. Yeah, let's blow this popsicle stand."



You proceed to the southeast cellblock. The first hall you enter is, as you expected, structured like the one you just came from. At first glance it's fairly empty, but there's a number of the needly worms wandering along the floor and up the walls. You nod to Kate, who nods back; the room doesn't look all that dangerous, but one of those corpses could be 'resting' somewhere.

You don't exactly whisper, but you do keep your voice low as you move down the hall toward the west. "I usually glance in the cells to see if anything stands out, but there's too many of them to check them more thoroughly than that."

While you check out the cells on one side of the hall, Kate alternates between checking the cells on the opposite side and trying her newfound fire powers out on the stray worms.

...It still looks like a bit of a fight, as Kate has to put her hands in roughly needling distance for her flames to reach the worms. She jerks back and re-maneuvers a few times. Once she gets back to checking cells, however, her casual flight speed is better than your walking speed--she manages to keep up in spite of the distraction.

Even if her new form doesn't grant her god-like control over fire or anything, being smaller, quicker, and able to fly is pretty damn useful here.

"So have you just, like, memorized this place?" Kate mixes it up a bit, trying various techniques like clapping her hands together or imitating attack motions. Still, just burning hands.

"Kind of?" You give a small shrug as you peek through another set of bars. "I saw a rough map on the first night and assumed all the cell blocks have the same layout, at least on this floor. So far that's held up. Humoring the idea that the top of that map was north, and the bottom of it south, also helps me keep my bearings. I'm garbage at navigating but I've spent a lot of my life staring at minimaps, I can kind of picture the layout in my head."

Kate stops, having checked the last of her side's cells. "There's... a big ass iron gauntlet in like the third room, and a bunch of barrels iiin..." she flies a few doors down, "this one."

"I keep seeing those barrels," you comment, "but I need like... a crowbar or something to get them open."

"Oh," Kate replies, before grinning. "Whoops."

You smile back, and shake your head. "What we learned about the house is way more valuable. This side..." You glance back down the hall you just walked, trying to mask your disappointment. "An axe, but also firmly in the way too fucking big category. And more worms. That's it. The rest is... junk beds and empty bookshelves. Oh, and a bucket."

"Have you thought about just, like... sleeping with a gun?"

You shake your head. "I don't think I trust myself to own a firearm."

You both head into the curved corner room, turning southward.





You grab Kate's tail before she can fly straight to the center of the room.

"That's a chest," she points out.

And indeed, there halfway between the ends of the room, is a straight up JRPG style treasure chest.

"I haven't seen one in the dungeon before," you reply. "It's probably trapped and it's definitely locked."

Kate turns back to you. "Have you seen keys in here before?"

"Just mine," you state. You reach into your pocket. "My house key unlocked a door the other night... it might unlock chests, too. It only works once per night, though."

Yup. House key's still there, which confirms it respawns when you do.

You pull the key from your pocket. "House key! The only locked doors I know of are on the other side of this floor and we're going the opposite direction, so... trying the chest might not be too much of a gamble. ...Traps notwithstanding."

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

18th Mar 2020, 5:37 PM
Morgenstern
lazy art day, plz subscribe
18th Mar 2020, 5:42 PM
18th Mar 2020, 5:41 PM
Might want to atleast peek down the next hallway first, look for any obvious locked doors.
18th Mar 2020, 7:26 PM
18th Mar 2020, 5:42 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Grab a torch, that chest is likely a mimic. 60-40 odds in favor but that might as well be 90-10 given how it's out in the open and everything. Kate should be ready to burn the thing.
18th Mar 2020, 5:51 PM
Hmm, if this is based on crush (dark) souls, opening the chest would be a bad idea (if mimic) but setting the chest on fire would also be bad (in ds2 some chests could be destroyed, turning whatever was inside into trash) so maybe kick the chest first?
18th Mar 2020, 6:12 PM
pkrankow
+1 kick the chest. Don't hurt ourselves.
18th Mar 2020, 6:29 PM
Snervalton
Didn't Kate have a screwdriver on her back in the land of the waking? I know it didn't come with her into the dream but doesn't her having it suggest some kind of, erm, break-and-enter/rogue-like skills? Maybe she could check the chest for traps before opening it? Because Plaire should definitely open this chest with her key!
18th Mar 2020, 7:27 PM
pkrankow
Credit cards open locks in many games. Would an ID have similar properties?
18th Mar 2020, 8:56 PM
Limrix
+1, I still like the ranged attack first, followed by quickly leaving. This place is still covered in corpse worms, and the bone monster will be not far behind.
18th Mar 2020, 5:42 PM
One thing I thought of a little while ago, is there some sort of control method in Captemon? Like, something that stops the captured demons from setting their (trainer?) on fire? If so, maybe telling Kate to use fireball or something might work.
18th Mar 2020, 6:30 PM
Snervalton
+1 that's worth a try!
18th Mar 2020, 6:40 PM
18th Mar 2020, 8:55 PM
+1 yeah, give it a shot!
18th Mar 2020, 5:43 PM
undeadDreamer
Test the key on the chest.
18th Mar 2020, 5:47 PM
Blurry text:
You also still have the--

"Brochure," you blurt out.

"Brochure...?," asks Kate.

"If I'm not giving it 100% of my concentration I completely forget I have this-- this uh..."

"This what?," asks Kate.

You pull the key from your pocket. "House key! The only locked doors I know of are on the other side of this floor and we're going the opposite direction, so... trying the chest might not be too much of a gamble. ...Traps notwithstanding."







Be ready.
19th Mar 2020, 3:29 AM
What's your angle, brochure ? Come on...
Anyway that's way too ominous, opening this will probably cause a boss fight.

Are we ready ?
19th Mar 2020, 3:48 AM
For anyone reading the comments and hasn't tried this yet: You can easily read the blurry text by just highlighting it.
19th Mar 2020, 12:02 PM
Yep. highlighting was the way I used.
18th Mar 2020, 6:15 PM
Frission
I have a feeling MM's not gonna let Plaire read The Brochure until a lot more of us can finally manage to agree on it in a single sitting. It's going to take a strong group will, otherwise it'll just keep getting noticed and forgotten again amid the 80 other random suggestions. Plaire is very distractable, after all.
18th Mar 2020, 7:22 PM
Maybe we need to shout to get her attention. Write in all caps, "PLAIRE! READ THE BROCHURE!"
18th Mar 2020, 8:54 PM
Limrix
THE BROCHURE KINDLY WARNS YOU OF THE EVIL CHEST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM. THE BROCHURE IS MADE OF PAPER. READ THE BROCHURE.
18th Mar 2020, 7:28 PM
18th Mar 2020, 11:59 PM
Snervalton
Isn't there a drug in this world called cleantex(or something) that allows some one to recall everything they've ever known/experienced in their lifetime? If Plaire is vaguely aware that there's something she needs to remember then she could get Kate to bring her some of that stuff and become aware of the brochure.
19th Mar 2020, 12:35 PM
Hari_Seldon
+1 I am adding pressure on Plaire to read the brochure if that helps.
19th Mar 2020, 6:49 PM
18th Mar 2020, 7:25 PM
Still have to try out if we can play VolleyKate. And we haven't tried writing anything in our notebook yet.
18th Mar 2020, 8:21 PM
Oh yeah, ignoring the possible warning, this seems like a safe spot for now to do a quick note.
18th Mar 2020, 7:31 PM
I still think that the MAGIC MYSTERY BROCHURE[/i] should be our first priority
18th Mar 2020, 9:03 PM
Do we have anything we can chuck at the chest? A torch might not be great because of the risk of burning it (since video game fire tends to burn objects very quickly).

Alternatively, we could start singing "Livin' on a Prayer" and see if the chest sings along. If it doesn't, it's probably not a mimic, cuz nobody can resist singing along to that song!
19th Mar 2020, 1:11 PM
+1 to throwing something. I love opening chests, but i am also wary of mimics!
18th Mar 2020, 9:41 PM
pkrankow
We need a certain number of keys to complete the dungeon, and the keys required are part of the dungeon. This is standard video game design. All puzzles require a solution.

We MUST return to the enterance, THEN plunge the depths because we REQUIRE the keys.

Our house key is a bonus key. We must use it wisely, in the place of a key we did not locate.

This chest is not supposed to open via our house key.

If this room is safe enough

READ THE BROCHURE
19th Mar 2020, 12:40 PM
Think we could make some copies of our house key? Might take a decent amount of money though.
19th Mar 2020, 1:14 PM
Snervalton
Nah, key-copying is super-cheap and is definitely worth trying. +1 to Plaire going and getting her house key copied during the day tomorrow.
18th Mar 2020, 9:48 PM
Snervalton
Maybe Cici's alternate form will be big and strong enough to wield the giant axe and mace?

Edit: Oh! And maybe Kate will be able to do something with one of the torches if she touches one?
19th Mar 2020, 12:42 AM
Might also not be for us.
There was a pretty big enemy around the pit we jumped, might be another one nearby who would use the oversized gear.
18th Mar 2020, 11:33 PM
Watch this 'innocent' little piece of paper turn out to be a marauder's map of the place and it's cloaking so it doesn't end up in the wrong hands is an aura of forgetfulness.
*Be ready.* with a chest in the middle of an otherwise unremarkable room means a pit trap most likely, so do Not go in, throw something at the chest (weighted sock useful again!) and if no reaction and a negative check from her flying around the room looking for slots in the floors, walls or ceiling for things to come out of/move or otherwise impede have her fly over to the chest and try to unlock it with the house key. If it Is trapped in any way we have a means of getting rid of enemies with it.
18th Mar 2020, 11:44 PM
Can the barrels be burned open? If we end up ruining what's inside, it'll just reset next time anyway.
19th Mar 2020, 3:27 AM
Unless it was a barrel full of "Do Not Reset" tape, which would be a massive waste of ressources.
19th Mar 2020, 11:12 AM
pkrankow
Why not make some "do not reset" tape and pocket it in the real world...
19th Mar 2020, 12:34 PM
Hari_Seldon
+1 to making some "do not reset" tape in the real world
19th Mar 2020, 2:44 PM
Snervalton
+1 to making some "do not reset" tape in the real world
19th Mar 2020, 12:19 AM
If objects with writing have power here, the brochure might have all kinds of restrictions placed in it via a description of the town.

That is likely why we cannot focus on it; it'd be quickly discarded normally. While Plaire is stopping to think things through she may need to get anxious about it to focus hard enough. :/
19th Mar 2020, 7:34 AM
Must remember to kick all the stuff we find)))
19th Mar 2020, 10:38 AM
The brochure was hard to remember in real life too so maybe the brochure itself is something important and/or dangerous/magical.
19th Mar 2020, 11:13 AM
19th Mar 2020, 2:59 PM
Snervalton
Yeah, it was given to Plaire by the mayor's assistant, it must be affecting Plaire in some way or acting as a monitoring device or something.
19th Mar 2020, 12:54 PM
Hari_Seldon
What if Plaire took some Brainsate before opening the chest? Would that interfere with the probable trap? I think we won't get many more good opportunities this night to test out Brainsate.
19th Mar 2020, 7:13 PM
pkrankow
-1

I bet Brainsate will act like an invincibility star in Mario Bros. A limited cheat with a short time limit.

Taking it should be a "free action" so it should not take time.
19th Mar 2020, 7:35 PM
Snervalton
-1
I wondered if the Brainsate would cause the dream-game to crash or something because it was clouding Plaire's mind.