17th Mar 2020, 7:40 PM
Throw a torch and bail

 <<First     Latest>>   

Throw a torch and bail
You turn to Kate. "Do you have any other powers?"

Kate stares blankly at you for a moment... before replying. "Maybe?" She holds her tiny hands out, struggling briefly to fly without concentrating on it--


--until a small, short lived flame bursts out of one palm.

Huh. Apparently all the fire is green in here.

"Uhhh keep practicing--" you make a run for one of the torches on the wall as the monster marches closer.

You turn, and chuck the torch. It spirals through the air--


and the worm-filled corpse knocks it out of the air with a swipe of its bloated arm. Embers go flying, and the torch clatters to the floor.

And that explains why this monster, in particular, had a knife pinning it down.



It's an asshole.

You're still not sure who originally put the blade in it, but that's a question you'll have plenty of time to obsess over later. Kate continues trying to activate... uh, whatever it is she has, pointing her hands out toward the monster. She's upgraded to... lighting her hands on fire.

"I can make fire," Kate grumbles through clenched teeth, "but I can't like... shoot it. This cannot be the whole thing."

She waves her hands, she tries thrusting them forward, she tries flicking her wrists--

but to no avail.

You run and grab the torch from the opposite wall.

You prepare to throw it


when you hear the muffled voice in the ceiling, strongly insisting on its free access to information in maybe not so many words.

You inhale sharply, and tighten your grip on the torch. "I'm going to throw this and we're going to haul ass, back the other way."

"Got it," Kate says with a glance and a nod.


You let the corpse take one more step--


and you throw, as hard as you can


right past it, the safe end of the torch narrowly bouncing off the creature's shoulder as it tumbles off course.


"GOD. DAMMIT! Run anyway!"


You twist around and take off, Kate soaring at close to your sprinting speed. As you approach the door to the southward hallway, one of the... meat... danglers shloops out of the ceiling, swinging its muscle tubes at Kate.

"FUCK!," she shouts, almost skipping across the floor as she jerks out of the way. You stop to try and help, but Kate at least manages to buy some breathing room by swatting away with her flaming hands. As soon as that monster has cleared some space, Kate shoots past it, and you both continue to the door.

You pull it open. Kate rushes inside, and you follow, slamming the door behind you.



You both get about halfway down the hall between the previous cell block and the south-east block before you stop to catch your breath a bit.

"Can those fuckers use doors?," Kate gasps, still more or less hovering but bracing against one of the walls.

"The big... worm host guys can't," you reply. "I think they can force their way through the push side, but they don't have the manual dexterity for pulling a door open. The tube thing that tried to grab you, those are the things that lurk in the walls. Th... they scare easily. At least."

"There's a lot of torches," Kate points out, before giving a small chuckle. "Is that your normal strategy? Throwing a shit ton of torches?"

"Depends on what I have at the time," you admit. "I have to get weapons to have weapons."

"I had a knife," Kate huffs. "Next time I'm giving you all my stuff before we go to sleep." She resumes holding her hands out, attempting to make more than a small green fire. "You keep your shit, right?"

"Yeah," you reply, scanning both ways to make sure nothing's making a run at you. With any luck, the noodly busybody monster will decide to stick around the chunky worm guy for protection. Maybe they'll fight. Something. "Your sleeping bag came through," you realize aloud. "We might be able to sneak items in through the beds."

"That'd be cool," replies Kate with a slight smirk. "I can fit a lot of shit in a sleeping bag."



After a brief pause, you nod to Kate's hands. "Any luck?"

"I can do this," Kate announces as she holds her hands up. They come alight with a bright green flame... and then she douses it. And then she lights them on fire again. And then off. "This would be pretty cool if, y'know, I didn't have itty bitty baby arms."

To be fair, you don't know what your powers do, either.

Something... volleyball related.

Hmm.

There is not much around here shaped like a volleyball.





So that leaves the question of where to go next.

You'd like to re-acquire the taped knife and look for the weird triangle, but the shortest way there is straight past the enemies you just ran from.

You could circle back around to it from another direction, but that's a longer route through mostly unexplored territory.

You are also much closer to your other point of interest, the door... out? To the surface, maybe? The doodle you found in the dungeon on the first night depicted a bridge over water. You'd learn something either way, even if the triangle definitely intrigues you more.



 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

17th Mar 2020, 7:51 PM
Morgenstern
and remember, by making a comicfury account you can not only lock down your username and get an avatar, but you can also subscribe to the comic which makes an angel get its wings
17th Mar 2020, 8:15 PM
The dark deed you requested is done, sir.
17th Mar 2020, 10:31 PM
Same here.

Editing comments is apparently a thing now. And while there is an edit button on other people's comments, it won't let me edit them.

Darn.
17th Mar 2020, 7:59 PM
I vote we just go try and find the supposed exit for now, maybe try and find a weapon along the way.

Also how did I time this so well. I read this page 20 minutes after posting. I don't know how I did that.
17th Mar 2020, 8:03 PM
Snervalton
+1 to going toward the upward exit. Since the direct path to the taped-knife is blocked and the long route to it would involve going through way more unexplored territory, heading for the stairs up is the safest bet.
17th Mar 2020, 8:16 PM
17th Mar 2020, 8:17 PM
I mean, I'm all for putting distance between us an the Boil Bastard (TM)
17th Mar 2020, 10:12 PM
Limrix
+1, see if Kate can sing at all, maybe the ballad of Brave Sir Robin would be good for this moment.
17th Mar 2020, 8:05 PM
pkrankow
New territory I suppose.
17th Mar 2020, 8:08 PM
Snervalton
Maybe Plaire could give Kate directions to where the knife was left and Kate would be small and agile enough go dodge around enemies to fetch it?
17th Mar 2020, 8:19 PM
pkrankow
If Kate can carry said knife sure. Try carrying the torch first.
17th Mar 2020, 8:19 PM
Heroshima
considering how the worm monster can just swat flying torches out of the air, that might be a bad idea.
17th Mar 2020, 8:18 PM
undeadDreamer
Experiment with jiggle physics.
18th Mar 2020, 12:42 AM
18th Mar 2020, 7:39 AM
Do we really need fan service right this instant ?
... it might make monsters stop in their tracks. Better test that out.
17th Mar 2020, 8:20 PM
Go to the left on the map. That simultaneously takes us to the hallway to try and go around to the Do Not Reset (DNR) blade and the path to the upstairs. It simply gives us more options than going right.

EDIT: As long as we have a moment of reprieve, check the brochure? Mainly just to see if what is written in it changes from real-life to dungeon-life (we can check it in real-life after waking up).
17th Mar 2020, 8:37 PM
Snervalton
+1 to checking the brochure
18th Mar 2020, 7:40 AM
And give it to Kate before it scrambles itself out of Plaire's focus once again.
18th Mar 2020, 11:48 AM
Hari_Seldon
+1 to checking the brochure
17th Mar 2020, 8:24 PM
yeah just...go and try to figure out what's going on in this direction, i guess. check the cells for other enemies with useful weaponry. or just try to go down the righthand path to explore beyond our present knowledge
17th Mar 2020, 8:44 PM
Snervalton
Right, there might be more than one item around here with Do Not Reset tape.
17th Mar 2020, 8:27 PM
Let's proceed to the upstairs exit slowly and carefully.
17th Mar 2020, 8:30 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Down and right (our left) through the unknown then. Long way 'round
17th Mar 2020, 8:39 PM
I hope you are doing well doing the cornavirus crisis morgenstern, same to everyone else.
17th Mar 2020, 8:45 PM
Verify current possessions...AND CHECK OUT THE BROCHURE
17th Mar 2020, 10:50 PM
Frission
*Chants* The Blood Brochure... The Brochure... The Brochure...
17th Mar 2020, 8:57 PM
Let's try and get to the surface. Any progress in figuring things out is better than none.
17th Mar 2020, 9:14 PM
Ask Kate how strong and sturdy her plush body is. Even if she can't launch or throw the fire... maybe she can punch someone with it! Or even divebomb someone fist-first!
17th Mar 2020, 9:42 PM
Snervalton
I was wondering whether Kate could recharge the torches in the dungeon with her fiery fists and thereby give Plaire a time extension for the night?
18th Mar 2020, 12:35 AM
Hari_Seldon
+1 on recharge experiment
18th Mar 2020, 7:42 AM
Oooh, that's a great idea. Accomplices granting time extensions is also pretty common in games.
... Usually that means the dungeon gets harder though. Better not underestimate anything.
17th Mar 2020, 9:37 PM
I'm kinda hoping Kate Devil plushies become available in the store at some point. : P

And I might not try testing this in a *combat* situation, but we have a bit a bit of breathing room for the moment, so. . . note that Kate is at least volleyball *sized*. Don't try anything without her permission of course, but a flaming green volleyball spike attack could be, well, visually awesome if nothing else.
17th Mar 2020, 9:43 PM
Snervalton
+1 to spiking Kate!
17th Mar 2020, 9:41 PM
I guess we could go up and see the water bridge?
17th Mar 2020, 10:07 PM
Turquoise
Head down the next hallway on the left.
Looks like there are more cells there so hopefully if we keep the looking quick we might find something useful.
17th Mar 2020, 10:33 PM
Snoop through the cells in the hallway to the south, see if there is anything interesting.
18th Mar 2020, 12:28 AM
Go the long way for the knife? Even if you only make a little progress in getting it back to the starting room, you'll have explored a larger amount of the dungeon and will eventually not have to deal with the worm zombie anymore.
18th Mar 2020, 9:37 AM
YetAnother
Experiment time!
> Item
> Brainstate
> Plaire
Check out what anti anixiety meds do inside of nightmare dungeon!
18th Mar 2020, 10:49 AM
pkrankow
Get safe
Check dream inventory
18th Mar 2020, 9:50 AM
I suggest Kate clapping her flaming hands.
18th Mar 2020, 10:35 AM
pkrankow
Oooo maybe.

Maybe making finger guns and yelling Boom or Bang.

Maybe Kamea Mea with dragonball gestures

Pull out the fiction!

Be the mime!
18th Mar 2020, 12:58 PM
Snervalton
+1 to such experiments!
18th Mar 2020, 10:31 AM
Exert volleyball powers by applying Kate as a volleyball.