16th Mar 2020, 7:10 PM
> THE DEVIL

 <<First     Latest>>   

> THE DEVIL
You would like to provide additional demonshell(s)

but you don't know what a demonshell is, let alone how to offer more of them.

After ... a great deal of deliberation, you choose

▶ THE DEVIL







You wake up in your bed



but not in your room.


"God DAMMIT!," you yell as you stumble out of bed.

It's the same room.

It's the same fucking room!

Small, square-ish, bookshelf, locked door, book under the pillow, goopy water rushing out of the ceiling, it's all exactly the fucking same NOTHING HAS CHANGED, AT ALL



"Plaire,"

begins Kate, prompting you to turn

but you don't see her.

"I want you to know I'm not mad at you, but--"




you look... down



"I do have several questions," she finishes.




"What the fuck?," you mutter,


before adding a louder, more emphatic "What the FUCK."









"This-- I..." what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck "This didn't happen last time," you finally manage to blurt out. Of course it didn't--you were by yourself. You still look like... you, but Kate--

"Is this from one of your anime games?," Kate asks. "Be honest."

"...Nnno?"

she doesn't look like any specific Captemon, but she could easily pass as a knock off Captemon.

...But she didn't play Captemon.

Nobody did.

Right?

Kate played no games and you played Magic Mustachio Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Is Captemon just... hardwired into your brain?

Think, Plaire.

It's still your dungeon. It didn't change to reflect Kate's mind, at least not in any way that you can tell yet. Your dungeon, your house, your nightmare... your... image of Kate?

No. Your image of Kate would be veeery different.

Kate's image of Kate?

The dungeon's image of Kate?

You realize that the water is beginning to rise up over the top of the sleeping bag Kate is standing on.

"Oh, fuck, one second," you hurriedly mutter. "I'll get the door open so we don't drown in here."

While you fumble with the coded lock, you can hear Kate flapping about with her one bat-like wing.

"I...'m pretty sure I can fly...?"

91-60-14-44-79.

The door clicks, and you push it open.

Exactly the same.

You turn around, and...

Kate is indeed flying.

With one wing, somehow.

She flutters awkwardly up to your face.

"Alright," she says, "this almost makes up for me being whatever the fuck I am right now. Where's Cici?"

You take one last look around the room for anything else new or out of place before you step out into the hall. Kate follows. You... shake your head as you start to explain. "I was given a choice between The Devil and The Sun. I... I don't think Cici's here."

"Wait," says Kate, "am I the devil? Did you know I was the devil?"

"Is that a confession?," you ask through a slightly concerned smirk. You turn, and begin to make your way toward the shield, the map, and... everywhere else you went last time.

"Dude," huffs Kate as she flaps after you. "For real. Am I the devil? Plaire, this is serious business. Am I like your personal devil, or am I like... THE DEVIL?"

"I dunno," you admit, "it just said... THE DEVIL."

"Yesss," Kate hisses, pumping her arm as she tumbles through the air around your head. The... logistics of flying with one wing, combined with the already questionable physics of the dream, combined with Kate having no idea what she's doing makes for an ... interesting flight pattern. "That's fucking rad. Did YOU get one?"

"I ... think I got to keep my body instead," you reply.

"I'm sorry you didn't get to be Satan," Kate says, managing to hover close enough to pat you on the shoulder. "Maybe you'll get it next time."

You laugh, shaking your head. "Y... you can keep it. Wait-- did you keep your stuff?" You check your own pockets: house key, ID card, money, anxiety meds, pen, notebook, brochǔŕ̓̋͌ͨ̚͟e, it's all there.

Kate checks her, uh

tiny pockets.

The ones in her jacket, as her current form possesses no pants.

"...Shit," Kate finally concludes. "Nope. I got nothin'. ...So that sucks."


Choose wisely the accomplice.


...Accomplice.

So anyone that's not the owner of the house (and thus basis of the dungeon) is an accomplice. Accomplices are crammed into a ... smaller, stranger body. You get to take items into the dungeon; accomplices don't seem to be able to.

You're not sure how well this assessment will hold up in future runs, or if maybe there's other circumstances involved here you're not aware of, but for now... for now this feels like a safe estimate.

It does make you curious how Cici would look. Kate's a tiny devil; would Cici just be... a tiny sun?

"At least it let me keep the jacket," Kate comments. "So what's the plan?"

You stop walking and take a breath, and a look around, and stock of the situation.

Yeah, this definitely looks like the same place. Not getting brutally murdered last time didn't give you a checkpoint; you're holding out that maybe, MAYBE it does mean you don't have to fight any Nega-Plaires, at least.

"There's a way out of here upstairs," you explain to Kate. "And downstairs there's... some kind of circle-in-a-triangle thing, it was marked on a map I found the first night. It... it kind of reminds me of an eye of providence--you know, the eye in the pyramid you see on money. It... It more or less represents divine intervention, miracles and the like. I don't know what it means in here, though, and it's... not quite right for an eye of providence symbol."

"So we're going downstairs, yeah?," asks Kate. Her lower jaw being visibly stitched onto her head doesn't seem to keep her from grinning.

"Yeah," you reply with a firm nod. "I don't need an escape, I need motherfucking answers."

"Yeah!," exclaims Kate. "Hell yeah. Lead the way, then--"

You both jump (and Kate nearly launches herself backward) as a door slams open farther down the hall.

For a moment--for the briefest moment--you have hope that Cici made it after all.

What shambles out is not Cici, though,

but a very familiar tumorous, worm-filled corpse.





"The fuck is THAT?!," Kate yells.

"I told you," you reply, smiling dryly. "I have monsters."

"Well at least this demon doll body can't poop itself or this would have been like... real awkward." Kate's flight becomes a tad more erratic. "Do... do we fight it? Are we fighting it?"

"Maybe." The bloated worm hosts are slow, but strong. It stumbles down the hall toward you, its... contents mostly staying inside the corpse. You know full well that the worms can and will leave if necessary, though. "If I had my Mustachio powers I could probably just jump it, and you could fly around it. They have piss poor reaction time. I'm not... really sure what the volleyball game gave me yet. Oh, and watch out for any noises or voices from the ceiling, there's another monster that likes to try and ambush me. They sound like human beings but they are definitely not."

Kate turns, giving you a... bewildered, confused, maybe slightly disgusted look. It's hard to read her goofy little stitched imp face. "...And you deal with this every night?"

"I mean--" You shrug. "Only twice so far."

Kate... flutters, and lightly shakes her head as she turns back toward the approaching monster. "God damn, Plaire."



You... really hope Cici's just having a normal night's sleep, and isn't trapped somewhere else in the dungeon or having to deal with her own mental bullshit by herself.


One problem at a time, though.

This monster stands between you and the path to the shield, and the--

"Wait," you blurt out. ...You squint at the infested corpse, which continues to trudge its way down the hall at you and Kate. "This monster's not supposed to be here. I mean... it came out of the correct room, but normally it's already dead, with a knife in its ch--"

The knife.

The broken blade with yellow police tape forming the handle.

The yellow tape that reads DO NOT RESET.

... Those weren't instructions for you, they were instructions for the dream.

The knife didn't reset with everything else. It didn't start off in the corpse's chest this time, so the monster is still... uh... well, alive is maybe not the best phrasing but it's still animated.

The taped up blade... might still be wherever you left it when you faded out.


Fuuuck.


"Nevermind I'mafuckingidiot," you conclude.

"It's uh, getting closer," Kate points out.

"I know I know I know--"

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

16th Mar 2020, 7:33 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Torch it. (grab and throw or bash it over the head, doesn't matter.)
16th Mar 2020, 7:45 PM
Heroshima
+1, then run away if that doesn't kill it.
17th Mar 2020, 1:13 AM
Careful about it, we haven't confirmed if torches drain Plaire's energy (contrasting the first death with fading away on the second try).
16th Mar 2020, 7:36 PM
Limrix
Let's go upstairs, fast. We do need answers, but the best way to get those is to learn more about this place, and so far all we've seen is the dungeon. We don't have fighting powers (probably) tonight. Let's learn what we can while we're stuck like this. Also bone monster is probably easier to avoid when it doesn't have walls to slither through. Take a torch though.

It is incredibly important that we get that tape. We must only apply it to ourselves if we are fading out; any earlier and we risk getting stuck dead. We don't need to get it now though, and handwritten notes may work as well.
16th Mar 2020, 7:47 PM
17th Mar 2020, 1:16 AM
-1 If Plaire wants to go downstairs, I'm for that.
Exiting might also mean death.
16th Mar 2020, 7:41 PM
Should have kate try and figure out if she has any powers other than flying, and for our power i think we try and volleyball spike an object from the room at it.
16th Mar 2020, 10:34 PM
Ask if Kate's willing to serve as a projectile to BE volleyball-spiked!
16th Mar 2020, 7:50 PM
Kate is just ADORABLE!!! SEE IF SHE CAN DO MAGIC!!! THROW THE BROCHURE!
16th Mar 2020, 7:56 PM
I totally _called_ the bit with the tape several pages back. And I am totally patting myself on the back now. Look at me go.

Kate has to have some sort of abilities here. We can probably spare a few moments to see if she can figure them out. IF not, torch? Maybe try throwing something.
16th Mar 2020, 8:04 PM
Limrix
Not here, later. We've already got worm thing almost on top of us, and bone monster due in a few seconds. We need to prioritize leaving first, and experiment once we're safe.
16th Mar 2020, 8:33 PM
Snervalton
+1 to getting to safety before experimenting
16th Mar 2020, 7:57 PM
I love everything about this. Just all of it
16th Mar 2020, 7:58 PM
AFTER WE DEAL WITH THIS
fsdfsdf
after we handle this situation we need to find that knife and wrap the "DO NOT RESET" tape around our waist. THATS how we get our save point.
16th Mar 2020, 8:08 PM
Limrix
More importantly, we must NEVER do this before we start fading out. That's how you get dead for good. That said, we do have a pen and paper. I'll bet that this isn't unique to the tape, and things will follow instructions posted on them a-la awful hospital. We should try using our notepad to modify the world. Door? Unlocked. Wall? Styrofoam. TODO: get sticky notes and police tape. "Do not cross" is a very nice modifier.
16th Mar 2020, 8:37 PM
17th Mar 2020, 1:15 AM
+1 to getting the knife back and respecting Limrix's guidelines.

This will involve Kate flying over the gaping pit while we distract the creature closest to it until she can get the knife back across to Plaire.
Don't think Extreme Volleyball lets us do anything out there in terms of longjumps.
16th Mar 2020, 8:06 PM
first: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA She is fucking pokemon! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Second: Goddammit This fucking Dungeon well mission one get the damn knife back.

Lastly, the current problem um I would say have Kate grab some torches and start chucking at that damn thing maybe check to see if Plaire does actually retain powers from previous runs to see she can Mustachio Jump over that damn thing and make a run to the shield the map and the knife
16th Mar 2020, 8:40 PM
Snervalton
And now that we're in the dream we're back to hand-drawn instead of pixelated artwork. Interesting little detail...
16th Mar 2020, 8:49 PM
pkrankow
Torch throwing. Practice jump (or wallrun(?)) Go around in if the skills are there.
16th Mar 2020, 9:47 PM
After escaping the town tumour we have a familiar who can fly and fit in small places. Recon time! Also, that message at the start may lead to a morally ambiguous scenario later on. Pick devil/evil side this time and if the next time choose the sun become a bringer of good and do them a right.
16th Mar 2020, 11:44 PM
GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!
then after we managed to escape. try reading the brochure, it has all sorts of weird to it.
16th Mar 2020, 11:44 PM
GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!
then after we managed to escape. try reading the brochure, it has all sorts of weird to it.
17th Mar 2020, 12:30 AM
17th Mar 2020, 2:29 PM
huh I must have posted just when the day changed so my post showed up twice. once for yesterday when I made the post and once today
16th Mar 2020, 11:49 PM
Can Kate dress like this more often? I hear the no pants look is in nowadays.
17th Mar 2020, 1:09 AM
After running from/around this thing, Plaire has to focus enough to get the brochure and give it to Kate.
THE DEVIL can deal with Zalgoscript.
17th Mar 2020, 1:48 AM
Frission
Have we tried going the other way yet? I don't think we have, the one time we hesitated for a long time before going that way and got ambushed. Maybe it'll be clear?
17th Mar 2020, 3:09 AM
First things first: The plan.
The map shows a "Big Hole" in the hall that we could only cross due to jumping powers to get back where we left the DO NOT RESET (DNR) blade. Unless we've got jumping powers again (possible, jumps ARE a mechanic in those games) that's going to dead-end. We could send devil!Katie, but she'd have to unlock the door, get to the room with the DNR blade, pick up the blade, and bring it back before we get murdered.
As such, I think our plan should be to go the other way and take the hall to the other cells nearest to us.
From there we'll have two options: Try and go completely around to the Path Down (which is near the DNR blade) OR take the Path Up and get to where "Big Hold In Ceiling" is and drop down into the right cell.

If we go with that plan, we don't have to deal with this monster since we're going the other way. I also think we shouldn't if we don't have to; remember that those needle worms secrete acid and the torch isn't really an area of effect (AoE) weapon. Best to just run away IF we can.
Do still get a torch however! Even if using it is draining, we currently don't have a weapon and it's good against the I Have A Right To Knows (IHARTK).
17th Mar 2020, 4:50 AM
Does the fact that that knife was already embedded in an enemy when Plaire found it imply someone other than her has been in this version of the dream? That she's not the first one here?
17th Mar 2020, 2:30 PM
maybe or it was it was just like a game giving you a basic weapon by having it be stuck in a old body. that is a common game mechanic.
17th Mar 2020, 5:17 AM
Interesting.
While I can't see an immediate use for this, I would like to note: It appears the bed/sleeping spot carries over into the dungeon.

Perhaps later we could stash something useful in the bed before our next sleep?
17th Mar 2020, 10:33 AM
Snervalton
+1 Yeah, let's try that!
17th Mar 2020, 5:55 AM
Just head the opposite direction and READ THE DAMN BROCHURE ALREADY!
17th Mar 2020, 10:23 AM
First: 2 things. 1) Kate is adorable. 2) I really wanted to see a drawn Kate but we got a mini demon Kate instead.
Second: Torch it. BURN IT DOWN! Or maybe Kate might have some ability we don't know of. We should try that.
17th Mar 2020, 1:36 PM
Hari_Seldon
Torching the enemy might decrease our time in the dream. We should try to use Kate as a distraction, because if jumping over the corpse to avoid it can work, Kate flying over it can work too. So use Kate as a distraction to draw the corpse out of Plaire's path, then run by. Or just go the other way I guess.
17th Mar 2020, 2:59 PM
Snervalton
+1 to Kate acting as a distraction
17th Mar 2020, 3:18 PM
Hari_Seldon
See if we can run by the enemy and get the shield (maybe the Do Not Reset taped knife is still where we left it, but maybe nothing else is). Then think about where we can get a weapon (didn't we see a sword last time?).
http://mda.thecomicseries.com/comics/31

Also, Kate is adorable!
17th Mar 2020, 5:29 PM
Snervalton
That sword was described as chipped and rusted and not at all preferable to the Do Not Reset Knife. I think Kate should do a speed run over to where Plaire left the knife and bring it back.
17th Mar 2020, 6:30 PM
undeadDreamer
Turn around and run. The bone tentacles should be coming soon-ish and you don't wanna be fighting this thing when that happens.