9th Jun 2020, 11:56 PM
Check the candle

 <<First     Latest>>   

Check the candle
After several moments of trying to get your glasses to fit inside your helmet in a way that's conducive to writing a legible message, you finally just take the helmet off and sit down on the edge of the bed. You take the pen out of your pocket, and--

"Plaire!," Cici yells. "Look what I can do!"

You look up to see her shooting... arrows. Made out of energy.

"Whoosh! Whoosh whoosh!" She makes little laser shooting noises as she launches the arrows. Cici can fire them pretty rapidly, but they don't go very far--the range before the arrows fade from existence is pretty short.

"Oh, shit," you respond. "So Kate gets fire, you get... light?"

Cici turns, and does a small double take. "What happened to your face?"

You reach up and touch your face

and feel the seams

and the soft, puppety surface of your cheeks.


Oh, god dammit. You really ARE Frankendyke.

Apparently having Kate's power in the dream or whatever doesn't mean manifesting her here physically, it means... jacking her aesthetic?

Wait.

"I think I might have Kate's powers," you realize out loud. Focus, though. "...I need to finish this note real quick, then I'll try it out. I think that's what the ring might actually do, though."


Note. Note note note.


Uhhh. Fuck it.





You suspect that this could be one of the witches. Maybe she's stuck in the dream, or stuck in between the dream and reality, or maybe she's in prison for murdering the other witch or... something, whatever, who the fuck knows.

If it's NOT one of the witches, though, then you don't want to give out too much information about yourself. ...Or maybe even if it is one of the witches. You don't know that the witches were good, per se, or that a surviving witch would be all that eager to help you understand her magic house.

You also really, REALLY want to find someone who knows what the hell is going on, though, so

You put the note down. That should suffice for now; you won't get any more answers from the blood note until the next time you enter the dungeon.


You stand and put your helmet back on.

You hold one gloved hand forward.

"Oh, snap!," Cici declares, fluttering out of the path of your palm. "You tryin' it?!"

"I'm trying it," you confirm with a small smirk to yourself.

You take a breath

and think about conjuring fire, the way Kate did.



FWOOSH

you launch an enormous fireball across the room; it ejects from your hand with so much force that the recoil knocks you back onto the bed. Cici, despite having already moved out of the way, is still forced into a spin out of the air as she dives out of the blast radius.

The fireball explodes against the back wall, leaving a faint scorch mark and a lot of smoke.

"Holy SHIT," you blurt out, sitting up and scrambling to your feet.

"Damn, Plaire!" Cici shakes it off and kicks back into the air. "Can you shoot a smaller one?"

"Maybe," you reply. You weren't really trying to shoot a gihugic fuck-off blast the first time, it just kind of happened that way.

You hold out your hand again. This time, Cici gets behind you, and to the side of the bed a bit.


Inhale.


FWOOSH Gigantic fireball. You are once more deposited firmly onto your ass.

"Alright," you mutter as the explosion fades, "it turns out I can't shoot smaller ones. ...Or not shoot them. It's always huge and immediately leaves my hand. Kate could just like... hold it."

That's all she could do. You and Kate have literally opposite problems with her power set.

Also, you can feel how much energy those fireballs took out of you. The difference between you at present and you ten seconds ago is palpable; those back-to-back fireballs drained the hell out of... uh

you know what? Fuck it, it's mana.

You're calling it mana.

You do not have a lot of those fireballs left in you.
They cost a hefty sum of mana.


You get out of bed--again--and pick up your polearm.

Cici (to your surprise) picks up the toolbox with her three feet, carrying it into the air with what looks like little difficulty.

"Are you as strong here as you are in the real world...?"

"Hard to tell!," Cici replies, following you out of the room and into the hall. "My body's so different, everything feels new and weird! Why am I an egg?"

You stop short of the candle room. "I'm... not really sure," you admit. "I think it definitely means something. A lot of games with like... collectable monsters or whatever have, like... growth mechanics? Creatures evolve or transform into bigger, stronger, more complex looking versions of themselves as they level up."

Cici seems to perk up, though it's hard to read her... uh... expression. "So I might turn into a scary egg?"

"You might hatch," you reply, though the mental picture of either scenario is pretty funny.

You peek into the candle room.


Yup.





The candle stays lit. It doesn't reset.

That means it's a form of permanent progress--something you can change that won't reset when you wake up. The candle room, the heart room... and the do not reset tape. The heart room has proven to work like a spawn point. You feel very confident the candle rooms may be for fast travel, or some other similar navigation mechanic--something you'll unlock or discover or... activate when you find that triangle thing.

It just... makes sense.


It all makes so much sense.


"I better not be a chicken in here," Cici remarks. "That's gonna feel like your house is judging me. Or a pigeon."

You grin, though Cici can't see it. It almost isn't fair, like setting up an ambush.

You speak but one word.


"Boobie."


Despite being in an egg (or being an egg?), Cici spends several seconds proving she is still capable of making very human noises.

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

10th Jun 2020, 12:15 AM
Well, shall we check out the locked room now, or just head straight to the ranting wall?
10th Jun 2020, 8:02 AM
Fishbulb
Yeah, it's about time to use the house key on the locked door.
10th Jun 2020, 12:15 AM
There was a locked door near here, go unlock it?
10th Jun 2020, 12:24 AM
Yeah, we should see if the extra keys will work, or if only the house key works.
10th Jun 2020, 12:42 AM
Snervalton
+1 to all of the above
10th Jun 2020, 5:36 AM
Hari_Seldon
+1 to open the locked door and mess with the extra keys
10th Jun 2020, 10:15 AM
Anotherdamntimeclone
+1 to starting with the other keys
10th Jun 2020, 3:25 PM
pkrankow
+1 start with the new extra keys
10th Jun 2020, 7:12 PM
10th Jun 2020, 12:21 AM
Macheman7
Oh yeah. We're rocking in style.
Again, check anything unchecked on this floor first. Also, check all of your items. Does the phone work?
I'll leave the rest of what we do to the others.
10th Jun 2020, 12:23 AM
Don't worry, Cici, you're *probably* a heavenly crow! And not a boobie... or a tit ;D (if you were a tit, you'd totally be a Great Tit, tho)

Anyhoo, let's go check out that locked room. We can try to use one of our keys that we got from the dump and see if the dream considers it to be a proper key. Using our regular key makes sense if not, though.
10th Jun 2020, 1:18 AM
And don't forget to check if we got anything from playing that arcade cabinet.
10th Jun 2020, 5:38 AM
Hari_Seldon
EDIT: try to dig after we beat the boss or if we are about to die (to avoid Nega-Plaire)
10th Jun 2020, 8:04 AM
You know that if we run out of Mana we die, right? Especially if we're going to fight a boss, we should conserve our resources.
10th Jun 2020, 8:19 AM
Hari_Seldon
As Limrix suggested, take a Brainsate in the dream to see if it refills Plaire's mana, but wait until Plaire is damaged by Father Warden or we find out Plaire is immune to damage, in case the Brainsate is actually a healing item.
10th Jun 2020, 8:58 AM
Limrix
After unlocking the door, see if our cell phone works. Leave it on the bed on top of the note to see if the other person gets it through bed/note transfer. Then have a go at those barrels with our polearm, and if that fails, Cici's lasers. We don't have any reason to believe that they explode, right?
10th Jun 2020, 9:47 AM
Hari_Seldon
+1 test if the cell phone can call anyone right now maybe Kate, because Plaire's cell phone does have Kate's number, which is like sharing true names?

Also +1 to Limrix's suggestion we could leave the cell phone behind in the heart room and get another cell phone tomorrow and see if that lets us talk with the note person. EDIT: I hope we don't need the DO NOT RESET tape
10th Jun 2020, 10:47 AM
Snervalton
+1 to almost all of the above. I wouldn't recommend firing lasers, especially short-range lasers like Cici's, at those barrels without knowing what's in them.
10th Jun 2020, 1:15 PM
lets just hope we find something that gives extra "lives" so to speak. maybe beating bosses
10th Jun 2020, 1:20 PM
Snervalton
I'm wondering if activating that triangle thing in the basement will create some kind of life-generating force or move Plaire on to some new phase of the dream so that she doesn't need those lives anymore?
10th Jun 2020, 1:37 PM
Hari_Seldon
I thought this update suggested that the triangle room might turn on fast travel.

"You feel very confident the candle rooms may be for fast travel, or some other similar navigation mechanic--something you'll unlock or discover or... activate when you find that triangle thing."

Leaving the Alcazar (getting past Father Warden?) might mean we stop using up lives, but then again there are eldrich beings outside of the Alcazar so leaving may not be a good idea.
10th Jun 2020, 1:46 PM
BJBlack
"Cici spends several seconds proving she is still capable of making very human noises."

Jeez, Cici, no need to raise a squawk about it.
10th Jun 2020, 9:54 PM
foo
Does the phone work? Also, check unlock the door starting with something other than your house keys.