30th May 2020, 11:55 PM
Compliment Maria, visit the junkyard

 <<First     Latest>>   

Compliment Maria, visit the junkyard
"That's... amazing," you state. "All of this is amazing. Y..." It's a struggle to get it out, but you feel it needs to be said. "You're a cool person, Maria."

Her smirk eases into a more genuine smile. She tucks some stray hair behind her ear, actually appearing a little embarrassed. "It... it's not that big of a deal. The instructions are all online, I just make some adjustments. ...But thank you."

"There's probably no way to bust Mondol for this," Kate mutters, "but we'll keep an eye out, just in case."

"Junkyard?," Cici asks.

You nod. "Yeah. I think we've learned all we can here."

"Good luck tracking down Franklin," Maria tells you.


Waiting at the bus stop, you tell Cici and Kate what you learned about space gardens, and that Franklin may be building one (or more). It does sound like a way to cut down on food purchases, but you have no idea where someone without a permanent residence would get access to enough power. ...Or space. Those machines weren't exactly small, and those big cables were pretty noticeable.

Kate smirks. "I wonder if those things can grow level."

"It is a plant," you point out. "I don't see why it couldn't. ...Or other pharmaceutical drugs. That might be something to keep in mind for later." Could be cheaper than a prescription, or a personal med synthesizer. You don't know the first thing about growing drugs, but you certainly have the room for it.

...Running cables through the walls might be a problem.


The bus ride to the junkyard is relatively quiet.

"Should we bring Maria into this?," you finally ask. "She's smart, and she wouldn't rat us out. ...She could help."

"You can just say you wanna kiss Maria," Kate comments with a grin. "It's cool, we get it."

"What? That-- no, I just--" you're sure the stuttering you do for the next several seconds make an extremely effective case for your purely professional interest in Maria

"She might not believe us," Cici points out. "I haven't totally ruled out mold or something making us hallucinate, and I swung that crowbar myself. AND the more we learn, the crazier our story gets."

"Maria's a workaholic, too," Kate adds. "Like... I'm not opposed, Maria's pretty rad. Just. Y'know. Good luck."


You arrive at the junkyard. It's about 1:30 pm.

You walk right through the front gate, with no real resistance or... anything. "So... does the owner of the junkyard just not care if we take things, or...?"

"Basically, yeah," Kate replies. "He doesn't give a shit. It's a bitch to drive scrap from here to anyone that'll buy it, so this place builds up junk faster than the owner can get rid of it. I think he still picks through the nicest car trash to resell, but everything else he just wants gone. ...That, and he wants to be my step-dad, so I get away with a lot of shit out here."

"Really?," Cici asks.

"Yeah," Kate says bluntly. "Big hots for my mom."

"I mean, Kate's mom is--"

you realize that you began the sentence about halfway through the sentence

and by then, it's far too late.

Kate gives you a LOOK

Cici stops, staring at you with wide eyes. Waiting.

"...a very nice... woman," you conclude. Nailed it.

"Damn, Plaire!," Cici laughs. "You need to settle down, first Maria now Kate's mom?"

DJ;JKLF;JA "I didn't say anything about finding Maria attractive!," you insist. "Or... OR Kate's mom. You have completely misread the--!"

"Alright, alright," Kate interjects, putting her hands up, "Plaire, keep it in your pants, we need to focus on the task at hand."

God dammit

"What're we lookin' for?," Cici asks. "Franklin, yeah, but what else? Weapons?"

"Baseball bats, crowbars," Kate lists off, "a golf club or whatever could work. Shit we can swing. The dungeon gave us a sword, but... you said you'll be waking up in that striped room next, right?"

"Yeah," you confirm, "I think so, anyway. ...Which means the chest with the sword in it might be way outside the route, depending on what we decide to do tonight. It takes a key, too--a key that might be better spent elsewhere, like on that locked door closest to the stairs."

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about," Cici chuckles.

"Just focus on finding weapons," Kate says. "It'll all make sense later. ...Unless it doesn't. I still don't GET IT-get it, but I'm startin' to get it."

"What else?," Cici asks. "Should we split up?"

Kate scoffs. "I got shit yesterday for not recognizing horror movie tropes--now you wanna split up?"

Cici shrugs. "We'd cover more ground that way!"

"That's exactly what people say in horror movies," you point out. "Like, word for word, that's the line."

Cici crosses her arms. "Well, I don't think we're IN a horror movie. I think it's one of those coming-of-age adventure films. ...Like when a bunch of kids save an alien! Or go off following a treasure map in search of pirate gold! We're gonna learn some lessons, discover ourselves, and stop an orphanage from getting bulldozed or something."

Kate shakes her head. "Plaire had to fight a wall wearing her dad's face like a fucking mask last night. If we split up, Franklin'll pick us off one by one, drag us to his secret shed in the woods and make us play fucked up murder games. Bet."


You're not... really sure Franklin is the slasher villain type, or if he's even capable of picking you off one by one. ...On the other hand, while splitting up WOULD let you search the fairly large junkyard more efficiently, it would be a great deal riskier if there's anything else out here to worry about.

...Or if you've horribly misjudged Franklin, and he IS in fact a slasher villain with a secret murder shed.

It might also help to establish what you're searching for, ahead of time. Weapons, naturally, but there may be other tools or objects worth telling the others to keep an eye out for.

 <<First     Latest>>   

   

Rate this comic:

X X X X X
average rating: 5

31st May 2020, 12:03 AM
Morgenstern
it's the very late friday update
31st May 2020, 1:43 AM
Portal In Time
There's no pressure, MM! Your well being has priority. You just keep doing you and everything will turn out fine!
31st May 2020, 3:07 AM
A toast to #100 !
(Please take it easy)
31st May 2020, 11:48 AM
Snervalton
Yes! *raises glass to update #100*
31st May 2020, 11:32 PM
Ryebread1983
+1 to Toasts!

干杯!
31st May 2020, 12:08 AM
Let's get a better idea of the layout before we split up.
Even ignoring the horror movie trope, Kate might be the only one who wouldn't get lost.
31st May 2020, 12:23 AM
Portal In Time
Oh! That's actually a super good idea. +1, bust open any toolboxes that look like they might have something, and check the ignitions of cars!
31st May 2020, 2:59 AM
Check if any cars have their engines disassembled for parts, look for spare crankshafts.
They're not as easy to swing as a bat, but Cici can probably dual-wield them.
31st May 2020, 11:33 PM
Ryebread1983
+1 to delaying (but not completely ruling out) the split-up idea.

Even if we all stay in line-of-sight of each other for our entire junkyard visit, there's still a lot of ground and items to go over in a single area.
31st May 2020, 12:16 AM
Anotherdamntimeclone
Possibly search for lost keys around here, rusted or not, who knows if the dungeon might accept them, if it does then free keys.
31st May 2020, 12:32 AM
31st May 2020, 6:18 PM
pkrankow
+1 actually +awholebunch
31st May 2020, 12:17 AM
Macheman7
It might be better to stick together. There's a lot of junk, Cici is strong, and you might need her to move stuff so tou can grab stuff.
31st May 2020, 1:37 AM
+1, we can spread out a little but should at least keep line of sight to one another.
31st May 2020, 8:13 AM
Snervalton
+1 We may not find as much useful stuff but it's more important that none of us end up injured or dead.
31st May 2020, 9:31 AM
Limrix
+1, there's no obvious danger here, but staying in a loose group with line of sight is a good idea.
31st May 2020, 6:21 PM
pkrankow
Line of sight. Marco-polo. Regular call outs every minute or two. Stay close together so not to split the party, but have some separation so more can be seen. This is a hard balance because everybody distracts at a different rate.
31st May 2020, 12:20 AM
The monsters might be noise sensitive. Look for cheap electronics, recorders, furbies, etc that might be usable as a distraction. Bonus points if they accept voice recordings for enhanced effect.
31st May 2020, 1:18 AM
Ooooh good thinking! +1. I want to see a bone monster pursuing a Furby XD
31st May 2020, 8:14 AM
31st May 2020, 1:51 PM
31st May 2020, 12:21 AM
We can stick together loosely, but also look in different directions to make sure we get a good look at as much as we can.

Having tools in general is good, as well as a container to keep them in. Toolboxes can be pretty robust I've heard. Might want to pick out a wrench, screwdrivers, whatever we can find really. Also wouldn't hurt to pick up stuff that can be used to pick locks like hairpins and other appropriately shaped metal.

Any clothing or fabric can be washed and cut or folded into masks or used to tie stuff together.

Should try looking up what you need to make a space garden on someone's phone and try to pick out parts for that too.

Plaire could also really do with some furnishing for her home if the gang wants to look for that, but it'd be hard to carry, so its probably a lower priority.

If we do decide to get some furnishing though, we might want to find something to roll it home, or make something from the stuff here. A wheelbarrow, perhaps, or a shopping cart.
31st May 2020, 12:25 AM
Portal In Time
+1 on the furniture, but we still have to take the public bus. Maybe just a few chairs and a TV tray, tops. Collapsible stuff works, too.
31st May 2020, 12:32 AM
Good idea on collapsible stuff
31st May 2020, 8:18 AM
Snervalton
+1 on looking for tools
31st May 2020, 9:50 AM
Limrix
+1 to all this. Something to carry things in is a priority so we can take other stuff. Folding chairs would be the best furniture for the space.
31st May 2020, 12:42 AM
Portal In Time
Oh! If we're feeling lucky, we could try to find a hard hat, or maybe a hockey mask! Protection from blunt force would be very nice. Hard hats are crazy durable, they could block a lot of shrapnel.
31st May 2020, 1:18 AM
+1 Yes, armor is a good plan. We can also look for things that can function well enough as a shield-- a trash can lid, for example.
31st May 2020, 5:55 AM
+1, but a trash can lid would serve as more of a disposable shield. To flimsy to take more than a few blows from the monsters in that dungeon, unless it gets a serious boost from the dream system
31st May 2020, 8:19 AM
31st May 2020, 2:06 PM
31st May 2020, 6:27 PM
pkrankow
Hard hat, motorcycle helmet, combat helmet, pith hat ... Even a free hit with no damage is good, so yes try and find one, with a good liner.
31st May 2020, 1:17 AM
Rope would be good, if we can find any-- maybe paracord? Fishing line or twine for tying small things, too.

Things that give us reach-- broom handles, etc. can be sharpened or have other things affixed to them to function as spears, or just used for triggering traps.

A slender piece of plastic can be used as a shim to help with picking locks, or a slightly thicker one (like a credit card) can sometimes open locked doors by sliding next to the latch.

A strong magnet can be attached to a rope and used to retrieve fallen objects. A heavy hook can be attached to a rope to make a grappling hook.

Sharp fragments of metal can be attached to handles to use as spears.

If we find tools that are capable of cutting up tires, we might even be able to fashion armor for ourselves out of old tires-- the rubber is thick and could provide some protection for shoulders, forearms, etc.

Any kind of bag or belt that can help us carry more stuff. We could make our own bags out of heavy canvas. Bottles might also be good, if we can figure out how to make something that the dream considers a "potion."

We need to come up with some way to attack Father Warden without getting shocked. Maybe we can find a way to construct a polearm with enough rubber insulation around the handle?

A sling is very simple to construct and can be used for slinging all kinds of irregular heavy bits of metal as ammo, but it would take a lot of practice to learn how to use. A sap, however, is basically just a heavy object in a sock, and makes a fine weapon.


Re: splitting up, I think it's a good idea to at least keep within sight of each other. We don't have to *split up* split up, we can just *kinda* split up (maintaining line of sight) to cover more ground but still stay safe. I do not trust Plaire's ability to handle basically ANY wildlife threat around here, and it's entirely possible she could lose her footing and get squished by something.
31st May 2020, 8:24 AM
Snervalton
+1 to all of the above.
31st May 2020, 10:59 AM
Limrix
+1 to all this. Some more common objects that fit this thread:

Rebar, long planks and metal pipes for reach weapons.

Slender metal is much nicer than slender plastic as it can be thinner and still work, though you're better off making your own shims out of soda cans or the little metal inserts you find in security devices at stores.

We already have a heavy hook in the very twisted crowbar, which means Cici is strong enough to bend metal into a hook shape if we find something suitable.

Old hard drives contain two neodymium magnets. Electric motors and speaker systems also contain magnets.

Wires are everywhere and are impressively strong and flexible. Just make sure not to get shocked taking them.

Cici's impressive STRONGNESS ATTRIBUTE will help us actually get the things we need off of each other, and reshape them as needed.

We should also look for things that burn, as fire is our main weapon in the dungeon. Old rags and paint cans come to mind, also we can use empty paint cans for storage.

Zip ties are worth their weight in gold. Crescent wrenches are worse for any particular size, but they work for all of them.
To quote Junkyard Jam Band, "Flour burns very well and can be explosive when thrown at a grease fire. According to US Army improvised munitions manuals, a 5-pound sack of flour, if properly initiated, can easily level a small building."
31st May 2020, 2:17 PM
Good points. Also, re: Cici being very strong and able to bend things, our entire house works as an anvil! So we can even bang out some cold iron stabby implements on the kitchen floor XD
31st May 2020, 2:34 PM
BJBlack
We may have established that the house is invincible, but that doesn't mean it has no recourse when occupants get outright abusive. We've apologized to it once, we don't want to do it again... when it's angry.
31st May 2020, 6:28 PM
pkrankow
Have we tried our ID to jimmy a door before? Has it been suggested?

Credit cards work this way in Nethack.
31st May 2020, 1:34 AM
Xylas_Incarnum
remember when it comes to surface grime: soap, boiling water and a good scrubbing will take care of, or at least sterilize, most things.
31st May 2020, 1:43 AM
Hari_Seldon
First go to the junkyard owner's office or website (do Kate or Cici have a smartphone that can visit websites?) so we can get a map and inventory of the junkyard.

1. Find A Yard And Look Up Inventory

If you’re looking for something in particular, go ahead and check if your local salvage yard has a website with inventory tracking.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-amazing-local-junkyard-1721121571

Then try to find Franklin. He could give us ideas and locations to find good stuff because he knows this junkyard. Then split the party into Cici on her own and Plaire and Kate together in case Kate needs to protect Plaire.
31st May 2020, 2:46 AM
Plaire is a raging lesbian. No woman is safe. =P
31st May 2020, 9:06 AM
BJBlack
Lock up your daughters!

... And your moms.
31st May 2020, 3:32 AM
Look around together for a moment to get your bearings, and to see if there aren't any rodents that are looking particularly vicious today.
After that, we can still decide if we want to split up. If there's a large area we can be in and search different piles while still being able to hear each other, that might be almost as effective as outright splitting up.
31st May 2020, 5:48 AM
So what we want is:
-weapons
-armor
-furniture
-consumable items for the dungeon (ex. keys, distraction items, bandages, item modifiers, etc)
-space garden parts
31st May 2020, 5:52 AM
...at this point we need to hire somebody, maybe Franklin, to help us secure all the stuff we need. There is NO WAY we are going to be able to carry all the stuff we want home. (Ooh! Backpack for in the dungeon! Might give us a storage inventory system! Something to confirm later)
31st May 2020, 6:32 PM
pkrankow
Furniture. Chairs, table, yes. Chairlike and tablelike items might be good too.
31st May 2020, 8:28 AM
Snervalton
We should also keep an eye out for some yellow emergency tape, of the sort that we can write "do not reset" on in marker.
31st May 2020, 6:30 PM
31st May 2020, 9:02 AM
BJBlack
We talked to Maria about Franklin, but she didn't say when she'd seen him last, nor where he might go, she just launched into the space garden thing. Our follow-up on that question was a bit deficient. He might not be here.

Now that we're here, we're looking at signs of habitation right on the first screen, is nobody noticing? Pizza boxes and cheap sodas, most of them on or around one car? The cheap sodas are identical to Player's (check out her computer desk). The pizza looks to be the same brand as Cici brought over yesterday, with some deterioration, but not actually that much. Depending on the recent weather and local climate, they could be days or weeks or months old. Remember, this is a junkyard, not a landfill or garbage dump; they are kind of out of place, although the owner doesn't give a shit.

We can presume they're empty, given the junkyard wildlife.

Still, Franklin's been established as living (to some degree) on handouts from Maria, so he likely isn't able to buy pizza. These could belong to someone else, whose Threat Level is entirely unknown. If Kate hasn't mentioned other residents, they could be new arrivals. Caution is advised.

Alternately, some local punks bought some pizza and sodas and had a one-time party, and we don't need to worry about it at all.

Check that car for more evidence of occupation, for Threat Assessment purposes.
31st May 2020, 11:00 AM
Limrix
That's actually a good point. It's common knowledge that bringing food to the junkyard is a bad idea. Whoever did this was either new to town or really dumb.

We should probably move those items away from the exit so we don't end up with wildlife blocking our way out.
31st May 2020, 12:38 PM
BJBlack
Actually, what I meant by "new arrivals" was, people who have recently moved into residence in the junkyard. Like, they have just started living in that car, in the last week or so.

Kate swings around the junkyard from time to time, so if someone was obviously living just inside the gate, she would know. Unless it's happened since her last visit.

As for their current contents, the boxes and cans have been here for a while. Unless there was a storm last night, those pizza boxes have been sitting there at least a couple of days. They're all empty as empty can get.

And the point I was trying to make is: If they bring food, they aren't afraid of the wildlife; ergo, they're more dangerous (to us!) than the wildlife is.
31st May 2020, 5:33 PM
31st May 2020, 6:34 PM
pkrankow
+1 check car. Investigate people signs as a group.
31st May 2020, 9:18 AM
Snervalton
Maybe the owner of the junkyard would be able to help us find Franklin?
31st May 2020, 4:07 PM
Xylas_Incarnum
Huh, take a look at the Pizza boxes and the... are those red containers pill bottles or the plastic pint cups? Either way looks like someone was having a small party here recently.
1st Jun 2020, 2:26 PM
PsychoSoldier
Given the nature of the boss battle, bladed weapons are an absolute must and something with reach would be optimal. If you can find something like a branch pruning saw (or the components to craft something roughly equivalent yourself) that would probably make the boss fight a hell of a lot easier.
1st Jun 2020, 2:28 PM
PsychoSoldier
(and by pruning saw I do mean the kind on a long pole, as a Google image search shows that being a far less common type)